Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Vacation from Life

There is something so weird about taking a vacation from your life unexpectedly. There is an all bets are off, fly by the seat of your pants, throw caution to the wind, and 400 other cliches to describe my current situation. It is as if the world is going on without me and I am in some happy place, absent yet exempt from responsibility. Not that I at all endorse undergoing oral surgery to obtain a few minutes to one's self, it is nonetheless a great surprise. I have a schedule on my refrigerator and there is something so satisfying in not being in any of those places. It's funny because this break is something that I would not have done on my own, it was exactly what I needed to force myself to take a break from it all. My boyfriend and I were joking that I am the sort of person that would limp my way out the door to work or class if it were up to me. This inconvenience has been a break most needed and appreciated despite the over achiever in me screaming "think of everything you are missing" and "you are missing wayyy too much work, young lady"- yes, I do have a patronizing inner voice. Patronizing yet essential to my everyday existence in this crazy, over worked, over scheduled, underpaid situation I like to call my existence as a graduate student. 

P.S. As I was grabbing my computer to type up this bit of brilliant insight into life, I tripped on the wooden foot of my sofa and all of my toes went numb. Even though it hurt so bad, and I was really irritated, all I could do is hold my laptop for dear life and hop around the room laughing. Maybe another purpose of injuries is to remind myself that it is all not that serious. 

2 comments:

Jan said...

You deserve the break, and also the prescribed narcotics that come with oral surgery!

P.S. Your P.S. reminds me of the time I tripped walking up the stairs while holding my laptop. I ended up doing this awkward pose to save my laptop, raising it up as high as I could. I've been told it was reminiscent of the iconic scene from Lion King when Simba is presented at Pride Rock.

Sharone, Uncloned said...

I second the above (below?) emotion!! The you deserve the break part, not the Lion King part. I would like to submit that there is a strong chance certain readings (ummm, FQ? Lacan?) will make more sense when read under the influence of prescribed narcotics...just a thought.