Monday, May 5, 2008

Sleeping On a Pencil

I decided to take a break from paper writing and psyching myself out with Dracula readings to write my priceless musings of the day. I woke up on a pencil today. I actually slept with it right in the middle of my back. This lead me to consider the various books, pencils, highlighters, etc. I have managed to fall asleep on without noticing. I consider this the true ultimate graduate student status, the mortification of the flesh level dedication if you will, to long nights of reading Sidney, Spenser and Stoker (that impromptu alliteration was oddly gratifying- but I digress). Working two jobs and taking a full time load has been a crash and burn class in ultimate time management, which as a side effect sometimes causes one to wake up with a writing utensil lodged in their spine. I am happy to report however, well two things, first for those wondering I never actually felt the pencil- I found it this morning then proceeded to laugh out loud at myself (judge if you will) and secondly that despite this odd encounter I have been remarkably productive this weekend. I am feeling compelled to list such small victories in response to my previous state of delirium, so please indulge me:  
1) Read 200 pages of Stoker's Dracula  
2) Read 50 of what seemed 500 pages of Sidney's Defense  
3) Read a questionable Spenser article with in addition to about two full pages of untranslated text, shameless plugs to the author's previous works- seriously?  
4) Went through about 10 sources and outlined paper  
5) Actually, so far, complete about five pages of my paper 
Though yesterday I had a Denny's excursion from 7:30 pm to 4:00 am and work up at 8:30 this morning to do all of these various tasks, I am still feeling oddly resilient and productive. Hopefully such luck continues...

No comments: